NOTE: You need to ensure that you have the correct level of NTFS permissions required by Sage 50 Payroll.
How to check your operating system
NOTE: Microsoft have announced that Windows 8, 8.1, Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 are reaching the end of their lifecycle and will no longer receive software or security updates. For more information please visit the Microsoft Website.
- Press the Windows key and R then type winver then click OK.
This opens About Windows, which displays your operating system details.
Compatible operating systems:
- Windows® 8.1
- Windows® 10
- Windows® 11
- Windows® Server 2012
- Windows® Server 2016
- Windows® Server 2019
- Windows® Server 2022
NOTE: Sage 50 payroll is compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of these operating systems.
Other operating systems:
Sage 50 Payroll must be installed on a Windows operating system. If you use an Apple Mac, you can choose to use Bootcamp to install Windows, and then Sage 50 Payroll.
Data cannot be stored on OneDrive.
You need to ensure that you've installed all the latest Microsoft service packs and updates.
You need 2GB RAM for Sage 50 Payroll.
- Press the Windows key and R then type msinfo32 then click OK.
If the memory appears in KB (Kilobytes), to calculate the equivalent in MB (Megabytes) you can divide the figure by 1024. Alternatively, use the following values as a guide:
- 1 GB = 1024 MB = 1,048,576 KB
- 512MB = 524,288 KB
- 256MB = 262,144 KB
- 128MB = 131,072 KB
- 64MB = 65,536 KB
- 32MB = 32,768 KB
- 16MB = 16,384 KB
Free disk space
You need 2GB of free disk space (You also need additional space for data files).
- Windows 7 - Press the Windows key and E then right-click C: then click Properties.
- Windows 8 - Press the Windows key and E then click Computer then right-click C: then click Properties.
- Windows 10 & 11 - Press the Windows key and E then click This PC then right-click C: then click Properties.
You need a 2Ghz processor or equivalent for Sage 50 Payroll to work successfully.
You need 1Gbps (100Mbps minimum) for Sage 50 Payroll.
Performance improves with higher specification computers and networks.
Version 28.03 and after
From v28.03, Sage 50 Payroll uses your Default Internet Browser as set in Windows to display web based content.
Version 28.02 and prior
NOTE: Microsoft withdrew support for Internet Explorer on certain operating systems from 15 June 2022. This doesn't affect your Sage software. For further information, read our handy page on Internet Explorer 11 end of support and Sage software >
Your Internet Explorer version needs to be v11.
To check this, open Internet Explorer then click Help then click About Internet Explorer.
If the Help menu doesn't appear, press the Alt key.
Some features of Sage 50 Payroll interact with and require an installation of Microsoft Office, for example, emailing payslips and exporting reports.
- Office 64-bit versions - Sage 50 Payroll isn't compatible with Office 64-bit. Read more >
- Microsoft 365 32-bit - desktop version only
- Office 2016 32-bit edition
- Office 2013 32-bit edition
- Office 2010 32-bit edition
CAUTION: Not compatible with Office 2010 32-bit starter edition.
Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 are no longer supported by Microsoft, therefore we're limited in the support we can offer. We can help with basic steps, however if these don't work, you should upgrade your software to a more recent version.
Your screen resolution needs to be between 1024 x 768 and 1920 x 1080 - this applies to 4k and hi-res monitors.
- Click the Start button then click Control Panel.
- Click Appearance and Personalisation.
- Click Display then click Adjust screen resolution.
In Windows 10 and Windows 11:
- Right click Desktop.
- Click Display Settings.
Once you've checked your computer meets the system requirements for Sage 50 Payroll, you can install it and begin processing. Install now >