The process will vary depending on the type of transaction and its status.
- Delete reconciled bank transfers or deposits. Read how to reverse the bank transfer or deposit to clear the value from the bank account
- Delete payments and receipts with VAT included on a VAT return and submitted to HMRC. Read how to correct transactions included on a VAT return
How this works
When deleting a bank transaction, we remove the transaction from your bank account and update the bank balance.
We add a cleared check mark to all transactions imported from a bank feed or bank statement.
This tells you that the transaction in Sage Accounting is on your bank statement and reflected in your bank balance.
When you delete a cleared transaction, we show you a message to remind you to check your bank statement. This is because when you reconcile your bank account, the transaction may be different from what's on your bank statement.
When you delete a reconciled transaction:
- We show it on your bank reconciliation with a Removed from reconciliation status in the Corrected Transaction column, to tell you it's now deleted
- We adjust the Starting Balance of your next bank reconciliation, by the amount of the deleted transaction. This is because the Starting Balance is always the total value of all reconciled transactions, up to the statement date
- We do not update the Reconciled Balance
- The closing balance from your last statement was £200.
- You enter a payment for £100, and reconcile it. The reconciled balance is now £300.
- After finishing the bank reconciliation, you realise that you entered the payment twice.
- You go to the bank activity and delete the duplicate transaction. Your bank balance is now £200.
- When you check the finished reconciliation, the deleted £100 shows a Removed from reconciliation status in the Corrected Transaction column. The closing balance remains £300.
- When you start your next bank reconciliation, the Starting Balance is £200 and matches your bank statement.
- You reconcile as usual.
Delete a bank transaction
- From Banking, select the relevant bank account.
From the Activity tab, select the tick box to the left the transactions you want to delete. A toolbar now appears above the list.
- From the toolbar, select the Delete icon.