Before you integrate Sage 50cloud Payroll with Sage HR Online Services, there are some checks you must do.
1. Check you have your Sage account login details:
2. Admin user email address
The person who first sets up Sage HR Online Services through Sage 50cloud Payroll becomes the main admin user, and has full access in both Sage HR Online Services and Online Services Settings within Sage 50cloud Payroll.
- The email address you use for the admin profile must not be used for on an employee record in Sage 50cloud Payroll - this is to avoid the main admin profile being merged with an employee profile, which can cause problems going forward.
- This should be an email address that can be accessed long term.
TIP: We recommend to register using a generic email address rather than a specific person's email address. This is to avoid a scenario where someone leaves the business and no-one can then access the main administrator account.
- Make sure you get the admin email right first time - This can't be be swapped with another email, or recreated.
- Don’t delete the admin user
2. Get your employee data ready
Sage 50cloud Payroll pushes through four critical fields for the employee into Sage HR Online Services:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Start date
For any additional information that you need to enter into the employee's record in Sage HR Online Services, you can run a report from Sage 50cloud Payroll and manually enter it into Sage HR Online Services later.
3. Employee work email addresses
It is essential that you check the following:
- Ensure all email addresses in the employee record in Sage 50cloud Payroll are accurate and up to date.
- Email addresses are unique for each employee. Don’t use duplicate or shared email addresses.
- Email addresses are case sensitive in Sage HR Online Services, so ensure they are all lower case.
TIP: You can send out the Employee Details Verification Letter to your employees to confirm or update any details you hold about them, including their email address.
CAUTION: We strongly recommend you use the email address the employee wants to use long term, ideally their work email address if they have one. This is because this email address may be visible depending on user levels and permissions that you set.
If an employee only has a personal email address and it is considered unsuitable, or they don't want it to be visible in the Payroll portal, we advise that they create a new formal email address and use this instead. This email address must not be the same as the one used for the main admin.
5. Best Practice: Starters and Leavers
Once Sage 50cloud Payroll and Sage HR Online Services are connected any new starters still need to be processed in Sage 50cloud Payroll the same way. Whenever you add any new employees into Sage 50cloud Payroll and upload their payslip, their data is transferred across to Sage HR Online Services, creating a new employee record.
NOTE: If you create an employee record manually in Sage HR Online Services first, their profile links with their record in Sage 50cloud Payroll the first time their payslip is uploaded, provided their email address is the same in both profiles.
Leavers need to be processed in both Sage 50cloud Payroll and Sage HR Online Services seperately.
Did this help?
We're always looking to improve our content based on your feedback so if you found this guide helpful, you can easily let me know by using the options below.
Benefits for your employees above and beyond their payslips
We want to help your business where we can. That's why we are offering Sage Employee Benefits free to Sage customers for the first three months.