Skip to content
logo Knowledgebase

Correct a previous payroll run

Created on  | Last modified on 


This guide explains how to correct a previous pay run in Sage 50cloud Payroll using the Rollback option.


Everyone makes mistakes, but don't worry, it's easy to go back and put things right using the Rollback option.

If you need to correct a previous payroll run, the Rollback option can be used to make amendments that affect some or all of your employees.

What the rollback does

When you run a rollback, these values are reset to what they were before the period you roll back to:

  • Change of pay frequency
  • Tax code
  • NI category
  • Leaving date
  • YTD values 
  • History
  • Diary entries
  • Nominal link posting date
  • Pension schemes

TIP: If an employee included in the rollback is receiving statutory payments, you need to check that the dates within the Absence Diary are correct, as these dates can be entered in arrears, whereas rollback will only clear dates up to the exact week you select.


Before you roll back

Make sure you have the details of the employee's original payments. This will help you to calculate any adjustments after you make the correction. To get this information, you can reprint the employee's payslip.

If you need to reverse a nominal link posted to your Sage Accounts software as part of the roll back, you should print the Nominal Link Transaction Report (Un-Grouped) report

Roll back your employees

  1. Take a backup of your data.
  2. On the Employee List, select the required employees.
  3. Click Tasks then click Rollback.
  4. Click Next then click Next.
  5. Select the earliest pay period that you want to remove.
  6. Click Next then click Finish.
  7. Click OK.

You can now process payroll again for the employees that have been rolled back, including any statutory payments you previously processed. 

If you re-run pre-update reports these only include the employees you've rolled back.

If you've made changes to the pay period after you've submitted your normal FPS, you need to submit the FPS adjustment to let HMRC know. Read more >

What if I use Salary and Supplier Payments?

If you haven't yet paid the employee, when you process the payroll again for the employee you can choose to create the salary payment again. This creates the new amount to be paid to the employee.

If you've already paid the employee, when you process the payroll again for the employee, choose not to create the salary payment. You can then create a manual or adhoc payment for the difference that needs to be paid. Read more >

Need more help?

Chat to one of our Sage Ambassadors now.

Chat now