A financial year can only be 12 months.
For details on how to move from one financial year to the next, see Financial year end.
Change financial year
When you change the dates of your financial year, we automatically update your financial reports to reflect your new financial year.
You only need to change the Year End Date. We automatically set the start date.
Do not change the Accounts Start Date. This is the date you started using Accounting and not related to your financial year.
- From Settings, then Business Settings, choose Accounting Dates & VAT.
- Enter the last day of your new financial year in the Year End Date.
- Select Save at the bottom of the page.
Your financial year has now changed. All financial reports for the current and previous years use your new financial year.
For example, if you change your financial year end date from 31 December 2022 to 31 March 2023:
- This financial year is 01 April 2022 to 31 March 2023
- Last financial year is 01 April 2021 to 31 March 2022
Lock the previous financial year
Enter a lockdown date if you want to prevent transactions being accidentally entered for the previous year.
For example, if your financial year ends on 31 December, enter 31 December as the Year End Lockdown date. New transactions can then only be entered from 1 January onwards.
If you have transactions that need to be entered for your previous year, simply remove the Year End Lockdown date.