The process will vary depending on the type of transaction and it's status.
- Delete reconciled bank transfers or deposits. Read how to reverse a bank transfer or cash deposit
- Delete payments and receipts with VAT included on a VAT return and submitted to HMRC. Read how to correct transactions included on a VAT return
How this works
When deleting a bank transaction, we remove the transaction from your bank account in Accounting Start. This also updates the bank balance.
Delete a bank transaction
- From Banking, select the relevant bank account.
- From the Activity tab, select the tick box to the left of the transactions you want to delete. A toolbar now appears above the list.
- From the toolbar, select the Delete icon.
We add a cleared check mark to all transactions imported from a bank feed or bank statement.
This tells you that the transaction comes from your bank statement or bank feed. Your bank balance then reflects this.
When you delete a cleared transaction, we show you a message to remind you to check your bank statement. This is because when you reconcile your bank account, the transaction may be different from what's on your bank statement.
When you delete a reconciled transaction:
- We show it on your bank reconciliation with a Removed from reconciliation status. This shows in the Corrected Transaction column, to tell you it's now deleted
- We adjust the Starting Balance of your next bank reconciliation, by the amount of the deleted transaction. This is because the Starting Balance is always the total value of all reconciled transactions, up to the statement date
- We do not update the Reconciled Balance
- The closing balance from your last statement was £200.
- You enter a payment for £100, and reconcile it. The reconciled balance is now £300.
- After finishing the bank reconciliation, you realise that you entered the payment twice.
- You go to the bank activity and delete the duplicate transaction. Your bank balance is now £200.
- When you check the finished reconciliation, the deleted £100 shows a Removed from reconciliation status. The closing balance remains as £300.
- When you start your next bank reconciliation, the Starting Balance is £200 and matches your bank statement.
- Continue to reconcile as usual.