Sage 50cloud Accounts is Making Tax Digital (MTD) compliant and is our recommended solution for submitting VAT Returns for individual companies under MTD. However, if you can't use Sage 50cloud Accounts, for example, if you need to submit group VAT Returns under MTD, you can use the Sage MTD Submissions Module.
TIP: The Sage MTD Submissions Module is available free of charge with a Sage 50cloud Accounts subscription, or you can purchase the module separately. To discuss the best MTD solution for you, call our sales team on 0191 479 5955, option 3 (UK), or 014 470 806 (ROI), or if you prefer, leave your details and we'll be in touch.
Before you submit your VAT Return
Before submitting your VAT Return, you must:
- Download and install the Sage MTD Submissions Module if you haven't already.
- Ensure you have your HMRC credentials as you'll need these each time you submit your VAT Return.
- Ensure you've registered for MTD with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
You must also do the following in each company in Sage 50 Accounts:
- Before your first VAT period under MTD, check your VAT settings are correct.
- Run the VAT Return and check your VAT figures for the period.
- Enter any VAT Return adjustments.
- Print and reconcile the VAT Return.
Generate your VAT Return figures
NOTE: Your submission to HMRC must be for one VAT Registration number and one VAT Period only. Once you select your companies, any discrepancies are highlighted under Selected companies.
- Open the Sage MTD Submissions Module.
- Under Application, in the drop-down click Sage 50.
- Under Company, click the company you want to submit for then click Choose Company.
- When prompted, enter your Sage 50 Accounts login details then click OK.
- In the Select VAT Periods window, click the VAT period you want to submit, then click OK.
NOTE: Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each company you want to include in your submission if you are doing a group VAT return.
Under VAT Return, it shows the combined VAT figures you're about to submit.
Submit your VAT Return to HMRC
- Click Submit VAT Return, then click Next.
- Check the company name and VAT registration number are correct, then click Next.
- In the Gov.uk Sign In window, click Continue.
- Enter your MTD user ID and password, click Sign in then click Continue.
- Select a method to receive your access code, click Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- In Access Code enter the code you received, then click Continue.
- Click Continue then click Grant Authority.
- Under Submit your period, in the drop-down click the period you want to submit for.
- Click the confirmation check box then click Submit to HMRC.
- When the successful submission window appears, click Close.
If required, you can print the submission confirmation details at any time.
Benefits for your employees above and beyond their payslips
We want to help your business where we can. That's why we are offering Sage Employee Benefits free to Sage customers for the first three months.