An opt in request can be submitted when an employee isn't eligible to be automatically enrolled, but would still like to join the pension scheme.
It's really easy to opt an employee into your pension scheme, just follow the steps below.
NOTE: If you need to process an opt out/leave request, you can follow the steps in this handy guide.
Watch the video
Follow the steps
Once you receive a valid opt in request, you can enter it into the Sage 50cloud Payroll Pensions Module.
- Click Payroll, then click Pension Assessment.
- Take a backup when prompted, then select the employee you want to opt in using the check boxes on the left.
- Click Opt-in/join then in Request received enter the date you received the opt in notice.
- If you'd like to attach the opt in notice, click the paperclip then browse to the employee's opt in file then click Open.
- Select the scheme from the list. For non-eligible jobholders, only qualifying schemes appear on the list. For entitled workers, all of your pension schemes appear.
- Click Opt-in then click OK.
That's all done, you've processed the request.
When will contributions begin?
The employee's contributions are made after the employee's enrolment date and this depends on when you received the opt-in notice. When you receive the notice, the first day of the next tax period is the enrolment date. However, if the opt-in notice is received after your payroll date, then the enrolment date is the first day of the second tax period.
For example, if your process date is 15 May and you receive the opt-in notice on the 14 May, the employee's enrolment date is set to 6 June. If you receive the opt-in notice on the 16 May, the enrolment date is 6 July.